Thursday, July 11, 2013

When I Grow Up...


This is my favorite place to be. Camp Wamava. Josh and I used to be counselors there when we were in college. I originally went because, back in the day, Josh and I were just friends and I really wanted to spend more time with him and well, what better place than camp? *Yes, I was dreaming about all those camp movies where people fall in love.*

Anyhow, I went and completely fell in love. Not just with Joshua, but with camp. The kids, the woods, the smells! I always thought I would grow up to be a teacher just like my mom and that's what I got my degree in. But honestly, I don't think I love teaching. The students are the best--I really love them, but teaching doesn't really tickle my fancy. Student teaching was the worst semester of my life. The only way I got through was thinking about going to camp when it was over.

If I could be a camp counselor for the rest of my life, I would be in Heaven. Unfortunately, most camps don't want old ladies living in the cabins...We are lucky enough that Wamava takes Bible Class and Kitchen volunteers of all ages so we can keep going back. 

I say all of this to say, that I don't think I should be a classroom teacher. I heard an education professor once say, "If you don't love, you need to get out right now and change your major." I wish I had listened and gone with my gut feeling to get up right then and walk out the door. But here I am, several years later and I'm thinking about going back to school. The career personality quiz I took told me that I am a Helper: I like to make people feel comfortable and feel good about themselves. People open up to me. So I've come to the conclusion that Yes, I want to work with kids. No, I don't want to be a teacher. And so folks, I'm applying to Grad School. 

To be a Counselor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment