Saturday, January 11, 2014

Gluten Free Catastrophe


Look at them...aren't they beautiful? Those are some Gluten Free tortillas from stupideasypaleo.com. While the hubs was away working lights for a production, I've spent my whole evening trying to be a Paleo domestic goddess. Did it work? Meh....

First of all, let me be clear that we're not exactly "going Paleo." Basically we're on a path of "don't eat a bunch of over processed crap." There is no strict plan in place, we are just going to stay away from breads, grains, milk, and unnecessary sugars. Anyway, I digress...a family trait truth be told...

Whilst listening to the sounds of The Lord of the Rings movie,  I set about my task. My goal: Pumpkin muffins, biscuits, and tortillas. Let me tell you, the muffins turned out beautifully--the hubs was practically foaming at the mouth for another! The biscuits....probably not a recipe I'll try again. While they came out "ok" they are super dry and a little crumbly but will suffice for this week.

Unfortunately, when I tried to make the tortillas I was a little irritated by the biscuits and I think I must've put a little too much "angry" in the batter because it was terrible mess. Three kinds a flour everywhere, a bajillion eggs whites flying, and more measuring spoons than I can manage at once. All it got me was a bowl of crumbly junk that wouldn't bend for a burrito if it's little crusty life depended on it. In my utter distress and desperation to have something to show for my efforts when Joshua got home, I THREW IT IN THE TRASH!!!! (Happily, this has only happened twice that I can remember in my short domestic life).

I started over with the recipe from the picture above and Lo and Behold, the Heavens opened and I made a Paleo Tortilla! Now, I have to be honest they aren't very traditional and are more crepe like than bread, but I think with the right filling they will do just fine! We'll be using them for this delightful recipe (which isn't very Paleo, but oh-so-wonderful) and I'll let you know how it goes!

And with that, I'll leave you with a quote after my own heart:

"What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?"




No comments:

Post a Comment